Saturday, February 17, 2018

Pacific


Today was pretty busy, I did a lot of driving. Another Master Gardener and I did a presentation on vermiposting. It was so fun, even with a small crowd and a couple people not sure about worms. I hope these people left with some good info and maybe some laughs. For me, doing presentations can be intimidating. In no way do I know it all about vermiposting, but I think I know enough to help someone get started. For me, it's always learning as I instruct.
After the event my son Joaquin and I went on a small walk around Chino Basin Water Conservation District. Neither of us had been there before. We only saw a small section of it, but it was so serene and peaceful. I plan on going back soon and getting better acquainted with the area. Driving to new places is still hard for me. But, I do challenge myself and have been doing it more. I have to admit I did not take the freeway, for some reason that section of the 10 makes a weird vibration that really bothers me. So, if I am not in a rush I will avoid the freeway.
A lot of what I do lately is challenging myself. So I think I need to add another challenge, get back to the YMCA. For some reason I have a hard time going if I am going by myself. Really, I just need to stop making excuses. Working out has always helped out with my anxiety. Last year after a series of deaths, I just kind of got stuck. I just let myself get all worked up about death and figured since my peers were dying maybe I should just accept the inevitable and stop fighting for myself. Of course I will not cheat death, I will die one day. But, I should fight to be healthy and live a life I can love. It's hard to love a life full of anxiety and doubt. I know I am not the only one who can relate to this.
I think for my birthday I will try and schedule both a beach clean up and a trail maintenance day. For my 42nd birthday I want to give back to the Pacific Ocean coastline, and of course a local trail. Maybe throw some camping in the mix. I might move a little slow (thanks arthritis) but, I move and can get things done. One of the things that really hold me back is being heat sensitive but last year I joined a challenge and some of the ladies have me some tips. Obviously I need to stay hydrated, but there are some items I purchased that helped, including cooling socks....yes! The cooling socks are worth the money.
Tomorrow I need to look at my calendar for the next month and add in some hiking trips. I love the sounds of my boots hitting the dirt, and the smells of the changing air, plants, and yes the dirt. We have a California Explorer Annual Pass, so we will be finding more places to explore and enjoy. Adventuring is fun, inspiring, and invigorating.
This week, I also need to get some more seeds started for spring planting. I am excited for the chance of frost to pass. Some night we can still drop into the 30's and warm weather plants tend to not like that. We lost all of our seedlings last year because of that. We live and learn. Right now we have broccoli, napa cabbage, iceberg lettuce, and strawberries growing. Also, we still have citrus flowering and coming in. I am hoping as the years go on the size of our garden progresses and we become more food secure in the fresh food area. I want to plant a lot of tomatoes so we have fresh and I can can some sauces, and what not. That is why I am loving the Master Food Preservers class.
Coming next month I will be starting an irrigation class. When I finish that and pass the test I will be a Qualified Water Efficient Landscaper. All this little things will help me do better at home, and get me to my goal of having a good harvest, without too much cost.
That is all I have for now.....tomorrow my oldest two celebrate a Rite at Mass....I am excited, but also weary we will not find a Sponsor or a Godparent before they make their sacrements.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Wild Horses

For My Wild Girl I do not mourn for your death You have not left this earth You are still here for me to see For me to love...