Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own


 Last night was a bittersweet celebration. A good size group of us were able to attend our graduation for the UCCE Master Gardeners of San Bernardino County Program. 18 weeks of long Tuesday nights, making friends, and sharing food came to an end. Well, some of us will continue to work together and cross paths a long the way. Some of us may on see a name in an email, or on a calendar. But, really I think all the experiences of this class will be memorable.

I did what I think anyone would of done, and as someone put it "took the mantle" and just made sure the class stayed running while our leader had to take an unexpected medical leave. Our leader is now one of my best friends. I learned from her how to listen, and to give people a voice. Despite my fear of leading my peers and those more seasoned than me, I went and did the job with one goal: get everyone to the finish line...including myself. Because, when your friend knows she needs help making sure the ball in not dropped, you catch it. When your peers are almost to the finish line, you don't say "I can't."

The graduation was only a success because I had help. Because, people stepped forward and allowed me to delegate small and big tasks. They allowed me to deal with minor details and ask them to move big, heavy round tables, greet people. stage food, and communicate with a wonderful church staff.  This is why I am still so emotional about being presented with a "Thank You' card and gift. So many kind words were written, and even spoken to me. Right now as I sit here and type this, my eyes well up. They well up because, I have forgotten my worth outside of my home. I know how much my family appreciates me. It's emotional to be publicly appreciated, and with my husband sitting there and listening. It is more touching to be thanked, uplifted, and inspired all at the same time by the friend I filled in for.....
Thank you to my husband and children who have been without me for so many hours, without them this would not have been possible for me.























No comments:

Post a Comment

Wild Horses

For My Wild Girl I do not mourn for your death You have not left this earth You are still here for me to see For me to love...