Friday, November 10, 2017

Brown Skinned Girl

Today I have spent some time writing some poetry and reading. I changed some of the books out in my Little Free Library. Also, did some planning on what to do with my front yard and clean it up. I really need to get some lettuces in the ground. There is much tending needing to be done all over my yard. My oldest daughter and I would like to have some prairie dresses, aprons, and summer bonnets to work in the yard with next summer. She is good with the sewing machine so we should look for some patterns and fabrics. For some people this may seem weird, but we will be comfortable and we like to dress up.
 Music pulsed through my ears from time to time and so did some emotions. When I write I get emotional, and so be it. That is part of the process for me. For the most part of my life it has been. Right now I am also coming up with a name for my collection of poems. I know the call for submissions is no guarantee, but I need to step out of my comfort zone. I need to keep stepping forward and doing things I have always wanted to. Soon, I need to edit and work on the novel
I wrote in 2008. One thing at a time, and one tick off my bucket list at a time.
Today is the Marine Corps. birthday and we celebrated with free cheeseburgers from Farmer Bros. They always make good burgers. Thankful for that.
My friend shared me the Leon Bridges song that is in this post. It just speaks to me, the lyrics, the music, all of it. Growing up a brown girl was hard for me, it was a struggle. It was struggle when my mom and dad parted ways. It was struggle being told I wasn't good enough. It was a struggle being told I am too much.  This has been my life. This is a mindset I am trying to leave behind, not my browness, not my womeness, just that "too much" or "not good enough".



 OOTD:  
Sweater- Torrid
Skirt- Unique Vintage
Necklace- Made in the Phillipines (Goodwill)
Glasses: Zenni Optical
Watch: Fitbit







No comments:

Post a Comment

Wild Horses

For My Wild Girl I do not mourn for your death You have not left this earth You are still here for me to see For me to love...