Sunday, November 19, 2017

Roots to Braches

Today was pretty good, with a friend I made in my Master Gardener class I volunteered with Redlands Conservancy. We put some seeds to start in trays, and small pots. They are all native plants to the area. The seeds were collected locally and will go back to into the conservancy land ruined by a recent fire. Yesterday, they started reforestation of Live Oaks. Someone from IERCD was there and spoke to us, and he helped. I came home with some wildflower seeds to put into the ground at home.



 This is the California Holly. It is related to rose, and tastes like a crab apple. You can make jellies out of it. Look below and you will see it even looks like a miniature apple for a dollhouse.

 

 

Here we are getting instruction for one of the Outdoor Ambassadors on how are are going to plan the seeds, and on her yucca starts. Yucca is also edible. Did you know there is several ways to prepare it?


 Above is white sage, it is mostly ceremonial but is also edible. White sage, like black sage is stronger than a kitchen nursery sage and should be used to taste.


 Here are some of the pots I got started, it was pretty fun. I got to bring home one thing of white sage. I use it during prayer and meditation.


The grren tubes are Live Oak saplings and acorns. This is the first step of the reforestation.

 I Live Oak that survived the fire this summer. Standing strong.


A volunteer for IERCD showing us how to plant the seedlings the best way.


Here is my hat, all kattywompus while I was handcasting wildflower seeds. I think this and putting plans into the ground was my favorite part.

This area that we live in, there are some things that people consider "weeds" that actually serve a purpose. They help keep beneficial incest alive, and those insects help pollinate our other plants. Some of these native "weeds" are the telegraph weed, Pomona local weed, buckwheat, and the yucca. So before you go pulling things out, try and identify if it is something that is good or if it is invasive.

Oh, hey! Look at me in my skirt form the Goodwill! getting work done and living the wildlife.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wild Horses

For My Wild Girl I do not mourn for your death You have not left this earth You are still here for me to see For me to love...